- Effect of Hot Tea Consumption and Its Interactions With Alcohol and Tobacco Use on the Risk for Esophageal Cancer – Ann Int Med
- IDSA guidelines for C.diff – IDSA
- Effect of Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults – JAMA
- Patients with familial adenomatous polyposis harbor colonic biofilms containing tumorigenic bacteria – Science
- Accumulation of Heavy Metals in People on a Gluten-Free Diet – CGH
- Fructans, rather than gluten, indluces symptoms in patients with Non-celiac Gluten sensitivity. – Gastro
- Predictors of post-colonoscopy emergency department use – GIE
- Vedolizumab Concentrations in the Breastmilk of nursing Mothers with IBD – Gastro
- Low Rates of GI and Non-GI complications for Screening and Surveillance Colonoscopies -Gastro
- Hepatitis B virus reactivation during direct-acting antiviral therapy for Hep C – The Lancet Gastro
- Disagreement among gastroenterologists using the Mayo and Rutgeerts Endoscopic scores. – IBD Journal
- Noninvasive imaging biomarker assessment of liver fibrosis by elastography in NAFLD – Nat Rev GI&Hep
- Cap cuff-assisted colonoscopy versus standard colonoscopy for adenoma detection: a randomized back-to-back study – GIE
- Risk of Clostridium difficile infection in Patients with Celiac Disease – Am J Gastro
- Faecal microbiota transplantation versus placebo for moderate-to-severe irritable bowel syndrome – Lancet Gastro
- “Weekend Effect” in patients with UGI Hemorrahge: Systematic Review – Am J Gastro
- Sleeve Gastrrectomy vs Rough-en-Y – JAMA
- Bariatric surgery vs obesity with long-term medical complications and obesity related comorbidites. – JAMA
- Reassessing the Safety Concerns of Utilizing Blood Donations from Patients with Hemochromatosis – Hepatology
- PPIs associated with increased mortality in patients with pyogenic liver abscess – AP&T
- Optimal Histologic Cutpoints for Tretment response in Patients with Eosinophilic Esophagitis – CGH
- Pedunculated Laryngeal Hemangioma in a Patient With Suspected Atypical Symptoms of GERD – CGH
- AGA – Acute Pancreatitis Guidelines – Gastro
- Does rectal diclofenac reduce post-ERCP pancreatitis? A district generalhospital experience – Frontline Gastro
- 2017 IDSA Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis & Management of Infectious Diarrhea – Clinical Infect Dis
- Association of Clinician Denial of Patient Requests With Patient Satisfaction – JAMA Int Med
- No association between PPI use and Risk of Alzheimer’s disease – Am J Gastro
- Adherence to Mediterranean Diet and Non-Alcohlolic Fatty Liver Disease: Effect on Insulin Resistance. – Am J Gatro
- Peripheral eosinophilia in patients with IBD defines aggressive disease phenotype – Am J Gastro
- Metal versus plastic stents for anastomotic biliary strictures after liver transplantation: a randomized controlled trial. – GIE
- Adherence to a Healthy Lifestyle is Associated with a Lower risk of Diverticulitis among Men – Am J Gastro
- Abnormal Responses to Local Esophageal Food Allergen Injections in adult patients with Eosinophilic Esophagitis – Gastro
- Cholear vaccine use is associated with a Reduced risk of Death in patients with Colorectal Cancer – Gastro
- Toronto HCC risk index: A validated scoring system to predict 10-year risk of HCC in patients with cirrhosis – J of Hepatology
- Type A viral Hepatitis: Summary & Update on the molecular virology, epidemiology, pathogenesis and prevention. – J of Hepatology
- Association between early ERCP and mortality in patients with acute cholangitis – GIE
- The EPISOD study: long-term outcomes – GIE
Don’t forget to send me your e-mail address for the mailing list.
- Global Burden of Disease Study 2016 – Lancet
- Proton Pump Inhibitors Decrease Phlebotomy Need in HFE Hemochromatosis: Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial – Gastro
- Influence of Age and Eosinophilic Esophagits on Esophageal Distensibility in a Pediatric cohort – Am J Gastro
- Long-Term CRC Incidence After Negative Colonoscopy in the State of Utah: Teh effect of Family History. – Am J Gastro
- Fecal Incontinence Is associated with Mortality Among Older Adults with Complex Needs – Am J Gastro
- Screening for Occult Cancer in Patients with Unprovoked Venous Thromboembolism – Annals of IM
- The Durability of Antireflux Surgery – JAMA
- Association of prophylactic endotracheal intubation in critically ill patients with upper GI bleeds and cardiopulmonary unplanned events – GIE
- Age of red cells for transfusion and outcomes in critically ill adults. – NEJM
- The Natural History of Sever Acute Liver Injury – Am J Gastro
- Esophageal Dilation with either bougie or balloon technique as a treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis – GIE
- Asthma Is Associated With Subsequent Development of Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Population-based Case–Control Study – CGH
- Laboratory predictors of bleeding and the effect of platelet and RBC transfusions on bleeding outcomes in the PLADO trial – Blood
- Therapeutic endoscopy-related GI bleeding and thromboembolic events in patients using warfarin or direct oral anticoagulants: results from a large nationwide database analysis – Gut
- Major Bleeding Risk During Anticoagulation with Warfarin, Dabigatran, Apixaban, or Rivaroxaban in Patients with Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation. – J of Managed Care & Spec Pharm
- Oral administration of conditioned medium obtained from mesenchymal stem cell culture prevents subsequent stricture formation after esophageal submucosal dissection in pigs. – GIE
- High Dietary Intake of Specific Fatty Acids Increases Risk of Flares in Patients With Ulcerative Colitis in Remission During Treatment With Aminosalicylates – CGH
- The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Inherited Polyposis Syndromes – Dis of Col and Rectum.
- Measurement Bias of Polyp Size at Colonoscopy – Dis of Col and Rectum.
- Chronic Pancreatitis and Pancreatic Cancer Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis – Am J Gastro.
- Rural and Urban Residence During Early Life is Associated with Risk of Inflammatory Bowel Disease – AmJGastro
- What’s new in Rome IV – Neurogastro & Motility
- Fecal Calprotectin Levels Predict Histological Healing in Ulcerative Colitis – IBD Journal
- Weight and Metabolic Outcomes 12 Years after Gastric Bypass – NEJM
I am surprised that there are so few new oral drugs coming out for IBD. I guess Infusions are all the rage due to potential profits. AJM300 has been around for a while, and I remember seeing an abstract for it at DDW last year.
This Article – in Gastroenterology, which has been online for a while, finally came out in print edition.
AJM300 is an alpha4 integrin antagonist. In their paper describing a double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2a study, AJM300 was shown to be well tolerated and more effective than placebo including both clinical response, remission and mucosal healing.
For those of you like me, who do not remember what Phase 2a is – Pilot clinical trials to evaluate efficacy ( and safety) in selected populations of patients with the disease or condition to be treated, diagnosed, or prevented. Objectives may focus on dose-response, type of patient, frequency of dosing, or numerous other characteristics of safety and efficacy. (2B being a larger study showing efficacy, the so-called “Pivotal trial”).
Another interesting statement in the article made me aware of the number of cases of PML as a result of Natalizumab treatment – 2.1 cases per 1000 (total of 212 cases out of 99,751 patients treated). Two take aways for me – I had no idea that many patients were treated with Ntalizumab!!!I had no idea that there was a registry, but that makes sense.
Once again, remember, JCV negative patients never get PML.
Lastly, efficacy in this group: I will only mention mucosal healing which is most important for these pilot studies: 58.8% – AJM300 versus 29.4% in placebo group. – another reminder that a third of patients with UC will just get better.